Austin Building (Original)
The Old Austin Building is one of the four original campus buildings; it was named for the charter faculty member Herbert. E. Austin. It was designed by Hook & Rogers out of Charlotte, NC. The Austin Building served as East Carolina’s first administrative and academic center. It housed classrooms, a library, offices, and an auditorium. Music performance students practiced on a large pipe organ located in Austin’s old auditorium. The building was expanded in 1914 and 1922 to accommodate growing needs and was demolished in 1968 to make way for the Jenkins Fine Arts Center. (Building Histories, 2025)

